Thursday, November 03, 2011

Putting the Academic Damage On

I handily passed a writing assignment that I had for my college course (of course).  During the...course of researching the paper I was reading one of several books about ancient Greece when I came upon an odd section.  The book itself (as I recall) was an academic work that was being related by an American field researcher in Europe who was explaining his findings and how they matched up with previous research.  However, this odd section cropped up during what was a normal discussion about historical origins and whatnot and the poor researcher had to take time out to, intelligently and politely, refute research (if it can be called that) by Edward Said and some black dude (whose name is not worth remembering) who claimed that Greece stole all their ideas from Egyptians and since Egyptians were black, well ergo, all of Greece's good ideas were stolen from black people.

What a sorry state of academia when a serious researcher has to bring clowns like this up preemptively as he knows both PC barrels will be leveled at his well thought out and researched conclusions because he didn't at least pay heed to the academic gods of political correctness.

He gets five stars from me in the politeness department though.  I would have told those two idiots to pound sand (at least Said is eating some now), but the basic replay of this serious researcher was a rub a the back of his neck while saying "yeaahah.....um...no."

No comments: