Sunday, April 10, 2011

Cleveland Police Report For Duty

From here:
None of the four Cleveland police officers charged with assaulting a man during a New Year's Day arrest submitted paperwork required when non-deadly force is used, records obtained by The Plain Dealer show ... Henderson, who has a history of mental illness, was arrested after a chase and later accused officers of handcuffing him and holding him down while kicking him and kneeing him in the head. He suffered a broken eye socket, a broken nose and a detached retina.
One can see in the comments that there are several commentators that, at the very least, don't give a flying fig about the police putting the smack down on this criminal. The Sandmich has always taken a dim view of those that support street justice by cop or worse, prison justice by prisoners. If society wants those sorts of punishments doled out to criminals, something I'm perfectly willing to consider, then it should be done through the normal chain of justice. Is the normal chain of justice too weak? It certainly is, so the first step would be to elect politicians who would correct it, not continually elect softies whose walled communities will always be protected from the chaos that they create and then rely on idiots to fill in the gaps. Backing up that point is another CPD story of railroaded justice:
Eight officers arrived just after 12:30 a.m. and told Geiger he matched the description of the driver who struck [off duty] Sgt. Arthur Gorsek outside the garage and fled the scene. They said that at about 10:20 p.m., Gorsek directed a man in a black SUV to turn right onto Chester Avenue. The driver complied but then made an illegal U-turn. When Gorsek tried to stop him, the vehicle took off, knocking Gorsek to the street. ... [Geiger's] daughter said the officers asked for her earlier whereabouts, and she tried to offer up a receipt as proof of the meal and the time. But the officer waved off the evidence, she said. And the police report from that night does not take note of Christine Geiger's explanation or even her presence at the house. The officers seemed disinterested in investigating their claims, the family said. They only bullied Geiger and repeatedly told him how much trouble he faced for such a serious offense. ... After spending a sleepless night in jail, she was crushed to learn she would be held for up to 72 hours for investigation. The case was out of their control. The Geigers could only hope that Charles' brother, Gordon, was working hard to have them released and that police were busily investigating the couple's story. ... Later in the week, Patricia Geiger was told she could retrieve her SUV from a Cleveland police impound lot downtown. But when she found the car in the crowded lot, she discovered the driver side window had been left open, and the front seat was blanketed in a snow drift a foot deep. Police also had left the key in the ignition, and the battery was drained. ... [Their lawyer] Doyle supplied police with the Melt receipt that officers previously had rejected, the video of Charles Geiger in the restaurant and affidavits signed by the restaurant's staff, Geiger employees, customers and the women who were with Patricia Geiger at the theater that night. Police quietly dropped the case on March 18.
Nice job jackasses. No wonder the city is trying to replace y'all with traffic cameras.

No comments: