Wednesday, November 05, 2008

2008 Election Notes

Although the final tally isn't in, it looks like I called the ballot issues mostly right. Can't go wrong with betting on lazy American's desire to get something for nothing.

-------

Deroy Murdock writes about voting issues in Cuyahoga county and East Cleveland in particular. I've wondered about this myself as I'm not brave enough to spend any quantifiable amount of time in East Cleveland without a conceal carry permit. I'm heartened to know that there are Republicans brave enough to act as observers in these third world haunts. My favorite though is this line:
Ecuador has more voting integrity than we have here in East Cleveland today.
When voting is a joke then democracy is a joke, alas. I guess the Democrats would rather settle it with firearms like they do in other scenic areas of the world where voting is a put-on? I myself would rather live someplace civilized, but some of my fellow citizens are so spoiled by civic peace that they're willing to risk civil unrest.

-------

On November 3rd, Steve Sailer wrote an article on how McCain, and to a lessor extent Republicans, blew it.

-------

Can we now agree that white guilt is now dead? Is it now fair game for persons of pallor to make points that might have some relation to race? I sure the hell hope so or this experiment will all be for naught. Of course many Obama supporters wanted him elected so that every other racial group would forget about race like whites supposedly had; idiots.

-------

Though it had some appeal, can conservatives now agree that Bush's presidency has been a failure for them? We kept hitting the snooze button, content to sleep through his inadequacies (not that we had much of a choice). Unfortunately he was a weak man with weak ideals and left us all the weaker for it. He's still far preferable to the alternatives that were presented, but for as much as I'd like it to be, that's not a selling point.

-------

John Derbyshire has written that we're at the end game where the government breaks the levy and no longer feels compelled to justify it's bloated existence. A sufficient number of government employees and dependents will exist and that the private sector will be present for the only purpose of being looted for big government aims. This revolved around a point he was making that one should push their kids into government work as in the near future there will be only be government stooges and serfs for said stooges.

All I can say is, I hope that he's wrong.

-------

I also have some...odd news. It appears that the Sandmich will personally profit from an Obama presidency, at least in the short run. For a while now my place of work was looking to acquire another business, but the owner had been putting off any kind of decision, until he was faced with the Democrat's pitch for a capital gains hike. The (hopeful) future acquisition will add a little job stability for my field of work that generally favors instability.

-------

On that last note, I wonder if the employees for the company that is being acquired voted for Obama. I just recall Obama's class bating where he egged on the ravenous crowd with "How many of you make less than $250,000?". I felt like asking the crowd "How many of you work for someone who makes more than $250,000? What's going to take a hit first, his paycheck or your job?"

Well a lot of people, at least in the private sector, are about to find out the answer. It might be time to investigate that government job, but I'll hold onto hope that the government will fade out of business.

-------

Speaking of which, who is buying our debt? Now that the deficit is busting all barriers, there's certainly a non-zero percent chance of debt purchasers not being back, or at least having their 'investment' run into the ground by inflation. Who would take that risk at a 1% interest rate? I'd hate to think that anyone with $500 billion laying around had nothing better to do with than to flush it down the toilet bowl on the Potomac.

No comments: