Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Data Violations

Expect more of this stuff in the future:
This is to say nothing of the TJX/CardSystems breaches. Personal information is spread around in too many locations to expect that every outlier is going to have it perfectly secured. I even got a letter from IBM, for whom I only worked for nine months more than twenlve years ago, that they had lost a backup tape with my info on it. Great.

I don't know. I think the whole system is riddled with flaws since our 1920s level of record keeping was never meant to hold up under this strain. Unfortunately the current system is so huge, and has so many different invested parties that any movement (if it occurs at all) towards better security is going to be painfully slow and expensive.

Update 11/5/2007: Steven Gal agrees

No comments: