Thursday, March 02, 2006

J-vator

Greggman comments on Japanese elevators:
  • Most Japanese elevators come fast
  • I've never seen a Japanese elevator with light censors that stop the door from closing if there is something in the doorway. Most American elevators have those. The Japanese ones still have the floor to ceiling rubber pressure switch to prevent the door from closing on someone though.
  • The "close door" buttons in all Japanese elevators work and work IMMEDIATELY. American "close door" buttons seem to be placebos and have no effect

This was one issue I neglected to bring up in my many posts, probably out of embarrassment. When I was in Japan and saw the elevator in my hotel starting to close it's doors, I did the natural thing and tried to squeeze through the gap and CRUNCH!

We're not talking about the leading plastic pieces closing in, this was the whole door making an effort to close, and if it could have closed sufficiently, I'm sure it would have taken off. I guess some sort of sensor is the norm, but I had pretty much the same experience at a different hotel as well. I don't remember a big difference in the 'G's though, but I wouldn't have been surprised if it was greater; I just didn't care too much about that after getting squished by a door in front of a lobby full of people.

No comments: