Wednesday, November 23, 2005

More Sony Rootkit

From Sony rootkit: The untold story:
Forgetting for a minute why, it is absolutely an outrage that corporate greed is what's standing in the way of letting music and video buyers freely move the content they've purchased from one of their devices to another.

I'll mention briefly if it hasn't been covered sufficiently, a root kit is a very nefarious piece of software which isn't so much as slapped onto the system like a virus, but part of it - it's the difference between the junkie who is insane because of some narcotic and someone who is just insane. However, the above article touches upon, but never clearly states something more disturbing - the difference between the insane and The Borg.

Microsoft made some noise about Sony's rootkit, but it's doubtful they would have done anything if they uncovered it themselves because Apple and Microsoft are in cahoots with intellectual property publishers to give them back door keys onto 'their' systems; it's just that Microsoft would rather you pay them for their backdoor solution rather than implementing your own. Of course we don't like to think of it like that, they're 'our' systems, not 'theirs'...

Since this situation is only going to get worse, this presents a bit of a dilemma for companies that depend on having complete control of their systems. If you run a bank, are you going to be comfortable with running an operating system to which a variety of unknown parties have all the backdoor keys? This would mean that any company that had the cash to pay Microsoft or Apple enough to get some back door info could do it. It's tough enough verifying that either of those OSes are secure in and of itself, but how secure are they really when their core operation is up for sale to the highest bidder. In the future, the only way a company may be completely sure is if they build their own Linux platform and develop apps around it - a hybrid of the old Mainframe days.

Back on the point about how Apple iTunes won't play on other players and MS's DRM stuff only works on Microsoft's platforms. There are some rigged work arounds for consumers (burn proprietary, rip mp3) so there hasn't been much of an uproar, but of course that's not how the entertainment industry wants it:

As long as this situation persists, the entertainment industry might as well come right out and tell consumers that it is now their policy to make consumers pay for the same content again and again for each device they want to play it on.

1 comment:

Evil Sandmich said...

Someone is not coming clean on this.

While diagnosing a performance issue I was having with one of my systems I found an XCP CD Proxy service loaded. After further diagnostics I determined that A) I had been owned by the nafarious rootkit and B) it was the cause of my performance issue.

My big issue is that I do not own any of the Sony CDs in question. What's more, I recall having to install this software in order to make something else work. It's been many months at this point, and although I can't recall which peice of software had me put this on my computer, the publisher certainly knows who they are and not too surprisingly they aren't making any noise on the issue.

I'm going through my stack of shovelware and Compaq service packs in an effort to track it down, though the lack of documentation on the net is making this effort a lot harder than it needs to be.

(Thinking out loud: I had blue screen issues a little while back with the system (Eric might recall because they would happen during Counter-Strike matches) and I revamped the running software in an effort to cure the ailment. Part of this entailed stopping and deleting all the extraneous services and what not. After a certain point, my CD drive wouldn't work correctly and I want to say one of the Compaq updates sent me out to the net to install this, as a 'security measure' of course. I might be wrong on this though, hmmm....)