Monday, October 17, 2005

Soylent Pink

I saw something rather disturbing in the doctor's office today: soy contains a simple estrogen, aka phytoestrogen. Disturbed I was! However, I then thought that this might explain the rampant f8gg0try in the far east (link not safe for work or non-soy addicted Asians). From Phytoestrogens for Menopause:
The food that is richest by far in phytoestrogens is soybeans. A typical three-ounce serving of tofu, for example, contains about 23 milligrams of isoflavones (the major group of phytoestrogens). About a half-cup of shelled peanuts, on the other hand, has less than a tenth of a milligram.
Yowser!
"Japanese person who eats a traditional fish, rice, and soy-based diet probably consumes an average of 20 to 40 mg of isoflavones a day from soybeans," says soy expert Mark Messina of Nutrition Matters, a consulting firm in Port Townsend, Washington. People in the Western industrialized countries, on the other hand, get only about five milligrams a day from their food.

Well that explains a lot! (this link is safe)
Guess I'll have to give up padding out my stir frys with tofu.

1 comment:

Eric Kendall said...

I knew there was some reason I didn't like tofu!