Friday, September 23, 2005

Bullshot

I was looking for something on Internet Explorer when I cam across this piece of glorified marketing material by one Sandi Hardmeier, a Microsoft MVP and spyware and Internet Explorer expert from Australia:


Sandi pic 1

A redheaded, female tech? Something must be up, I mean, besides being an 'Internet Explorer expert'. And it turns out, something is. Here's a shot of Sandi from a different site that links to the same personal page as one that sports the above photo:


Sandi pic 2

Now I expect some divergence from a publicity shot to a candid shot, but jeez! Doesn't the photo have to be from the same decade to be fair?

(I can hear it now: "So Sandmich you jerk, why were you even looking for her photo?" , to which I say "This discussion is closed!")

2 comments:

RT said...

Actually, my question would be:

Does your disappointment in the way she looks now reflect of how you view what she says?

(As well as, why the hell are you doing word verification? It's such a nuisance to some of us who comment regularly! And you can't possibly be getting that many spammers...)

Evil Sandmich said...

Women aren't usually given to take an interest in tech things. It's the way of the world that men are more mechanically inclined.

If women are in the IT field, they're typically programmers, and then, even more typically, database programmers. So a desktop applications tech, who is ALSO attractive sent the old 'bull-ometer' into overdrive.

At first, I figured this was just some marketing BS from MS (not a first) so I did a search.

My guess is that this is probably some puff peice she got paid for, and I can hardly blame her for sending along the bullshot since a pretty face might garner a couple more jobs.

Now of course this presents a delima in my mind. Her pretty picture on the Microsoft site made me think that she had gotten the work because of her looks. Let's face it, women in the tech field (as opposed to DB programming) are rare, and attractive ones are even more rare still, yet Microsoft has one on their site, hmmmm.... If she were comely in her picture (say a nice picture of how she actually looks), I probably wouldn't have noticed.

This is all academic anyway. Ziff Davis has plenty of talented tech writers of all genders and apperances, and by and large they write actual content, not the marketing driven crap that Microsoft posts on their site. No, I didn't even read the article. I've read enough Microsoft junk that with enough effort I could write a 'bot' program that could churn that stuff out like crap from my cats.

(I decided to turn on the verification thing after I went several consecutive days where I had to delete spam from posts. Why my blog wound up in the target of the spam-bots scope, I have no idea.)