Monday, March 21, 2005

School Bans Peanut Butter Sandmiches

From Pupil's allergy to nuts prompts school ban:
That balancing act is being performed across the country as school districts struggle to meet a federal obligation to provide safe schools for children with disabilities. The number of children with potentially fatal allergies doubled from 1997 to 2002, according to one study.
WTF? Didn't that statistic strike the reporter as being a bit odd? Either it's completely bogus or there is something seriously wrong in the water.

I've always harbored a suspicion that the whole nut allergy thing was cooked up as an excuse for people to be a pain; however, I've seen enough anecdotal evidence for me to be open to convincing. Extreme, unsubstantiated factoids like the one above don't exactly assuage my fears (the reporter didn't even see fit to site the 'study', probably because it came from Centers For Science in the Public Interest or some crackpot outfit like that).

(I do know that if I was allergic to peanut butter, I would've been dead decades ago. Of course, I think my heart is still 'allergic' to a whole jar of peanut butter grease.)

No comments: