Sunday, March 06, 2005

Academic Freedom in Ohio

(Update 3/10/2005: Alan Reynolds thinks I'm full of crap on Sarbanes-Oxley. I think he might be right)

I was kinda ambivalent back when Sarbanes-Oxley passed. Yeah, it was another layer of government regulation being piled onto American business, but I didn't care much since 90% of the new regulations were items that businesses should have been doing anyways. Many of the regulations came right out of security best practices that are written up for businesses. So although I sympathized with businesses complaining about the compliance costs, it puzzled me in a way since it wasn't in their best interests to not follow them.

Much the same can be said of David Horowitz's Academic Bill of Rights. Every state in which it has come up, liberal faculty squeal like stuck pigs about how unfair an encroachment it is on their jobs. I must admit to mildly sympathizing; they go in and do their job everyday and then some legislative busy bodies come in and tell them they aren't doing their jobs 'right enough'.

This has recently become an issue in Ohio, but again, my sympathies fall short since these are things universities should be doing anyway. The ABR basically only states that students and faculty won't be discriminated against because of ideology. What am I missing about this that makes it bad? In previous efforts to implement the ABR, I've found it interesting that liberals are the first to complain; but of course they stress that there is no problem. Well, if there is no problem, then the ABR shouldn't be an issue no? I would think that what is good for a business is also good for a university.

No comments: