Monday, December 20, 2004

Technical Woes

I had to help a user a couple weeks back who was putting documents through the network scanner and trying to open them. She reported that they weren't there even though I saw the PDF files fine on my end. I went over and discovered that she was trying to open them in Word, which not only will no display the files (apart from "*.* All Files") but it won't even open the PDF files anyway (at least not in any readable format). This in and of itself is forgivable, but conversations like this are not (keep in mind, the user is trying to do something that's impossible!):
User1: I don't understand what's wrong, this was working just last week!
Me: So you're opening up the files that same way you always have?
User1:Yes.
Me: You're sure you didn't open the files in some other way?
User1: YES.
Me: [contemplates a 'liquid lunch']

I thought this was a freak accident, until I went through the exact same conversation with a different user who was experiencing the exact same "problem" not more than three days later. Of course today I had a user who went one up on that when she was trying to open an Excel spreadsheet in Word (must be lead in the water here). It shouldn't be any mystery as to how that conversation went:
User2: I don't understand what's wrong, this was working just last week!
Me: So you're opening up the files that same way you always have?
User2: Yes.
Me: Are you sure you weren't, like, opening those Excel files in like...Excel?
User2: YES.
Me: [contemplates an Irish Coffee...hold the coffee]
Of course the one that always takes the cake is this:
User3: You have to check this out because everything is down!
Me: Huh? My e-mail looks like it's working, is yours?
User3: Yes, but everything else is out, trust me.
Me: [Oh yeah, I trust you. You're a regular Bill Gates.]

No comments: