Wednesday, November 03, 2004

Muslim Mango Pudding

(Yeah, another page port, enjoy!)

I love those little Asian jelly deserts they sell in better stores (you know, the ones that also sell squid). This site has some pics of some Asian jellys; my thanks to the Federation of Canadian Idiots for the link (and before you get to feelin' all high and mighty, the U.S., U.K., and Ireland want you to know they have just as many idiots as the Canadians).

So anyway, I'm munchin' down on these bad boys (while trying not to choke on them like a bloomin' moron), and I glance at the back of the package and am shocked to see that there may be secret ingredients in the pudding that may make me a Muslim:

I decided to do a web search to make sure that there was no 'Jim Jones' goodness in my snack. I, of course, found out that this is just a symbol from some organization in the Philippines that certifies it as being 'Kosher' for Muslims. But additionally, I found an article with some interesting notes on Islam in the Philippines. Firstly, let's find out who is behind the Muslim terror network in the Philippines, it's not a big surprise:

Khalifah, Osama bin Laden’s brother-in-law, lived in the Philippines from 1986 to 1994 when he ran the International Islamic Relief Organization, a Saudi Arabia-based charity group. Khalifah is said to have given funds to the Abu Sayyaf. Al-Lahim joined the IIRO Manila office after Khalifah left. [Emphasis mine]

Okay, okay, but how did so many Muslims get into the Christian Philippines to begin with?

The massive number of workers in the Middle East boosted the ranks of Filipino Muslims. Lacar estimates the number of converts from 1970 to the present to be more than 100,000. Abdul Rahman Linzag of the Islamic Dawah Council of the Philippines (IDCP) observes though that some convert for convenience. In the Middle East, workers who switch to Islam enjoy benefits that non-Muslims don’t [like living!].

Well how bad is Saudi Arabia? Fortunately, Derb over at NRO found this long article that details how nasty a place it is. How about a taste, it's almost as good as Muslim pudding!

The self-effacement of an entire sex, and, in consequence, of sexuality itself, was the most unnerving feature of Saudi life. I could go through an entire day without seeing any women, except perhaps some beggars sitting on the curb outside a prince’s house. Almost all public space, from the outdoor terrace at the Italian restaurant to the sidewalk tables at Starbucks, belonged to men. The restaurants had separate entrances for “families” and “bachelors,” and I could hear women scurrying past, hidden by screens, as they went upstairs or to a rear room. The only places I was sure to see women were at the mall and the grocery store, and even there they seemed spookily out of place. Many of them wore black gloves, and their faces were covered entirely—not even a pair of plummy, heavy-lidded Arabian eyes apparent. Sometimes I couldn’t tell what direction they were facing. It felt to me as if the women had died, and only their shades remained.

2 comments:

hippie granny said...

Do you equate Halal with Jim Jones? There IS a connection of Islam and Halal, but all Muslims are not evil nor are they all terrorists. Not only have I spent a lot of time with "them", but I have even indulged in Halal food, and believe it or not, it doesn't rub off. I've never felt the least bit threatened and my own faith has remained intact. Halal geletin is safe to eat as are Kosher hot dogs, so go ahead and broaden your horizons. Abuses in Saudi Arabia are a different story for a different day.

Evil Sandmich said...

I'd never seen it before and actually didn't have any idea what it was before I did a search for it. I apologize if I did an insufficient job of stressing the fact that the certification is benign.

On a side note, I failed to point out that the Filipino government is making an effort to hijack the issuing of this certification instead of the Islamic Dawah Council so that they can collect the associated fees. Yeah, they have separation of church and state, but that may not be enough to hold a greedy bureaucrat back from making a money grab.