Monday, October 18, 2004

Amish Country

I feel bad that I didn't make it down to Amish country this fall. Since everything is closed on Sunday, and I work during the week, that means we'd have to go down on a free Saturday, of which I've had very few the last couple months. What follows are pictures taken last year with my then new Kodak camera.



We see this place on the way down. It's hillbilly bar that was undergoing some much needed refurbishing at the time. I love the name!



These Jackasses were cool.



Amish home, denoted by no power lines.



Colors!



Fields!



Anyone who thinks horses would be cleaner than cars should check out the ground in this shot.



Homestead





2 comments:

hippie granny said...

By down to Amish country, I assume you mean Holmes or Wayne county. Have you ever been to Shipshewana, Indiana? It's in northern Indiana, almost along the turnpike. The flavor is similar, but it has a different aura too. The local people are the friendliest you'll meet anywhere. To get away from the "tourist" feel, we generally stay in Sturgis, Michigan. It's only a 10 minute drive into "Shipshe". During the proper season, there is a huge flea market with a very diverse inventory. Year-round there is an antique auction every Wednesday with about 10 auctioneers going at the same time.

Evil Sandmich said...

I'm usually hard pressed to make myself drive the two and half hours it takes to get to Berlin (Holmes county), but it's close proximity to several major Ohio cities means the area struggles to stay very "Amish-ie". It does also does seem that many products have been dumbed down to the taste of the common tourist.