Saturday, September 18, 2004

Lovers of the Chinese murder machine

Mr. Kendall has up a thorough skewering of a rather nasty article by one Gregory Clark. Mr. Clark goes to bat for the commies in China by trying to white wash the Tiananmen Square Massacre. I have to admit that, although I didn't find Mr. Clark's argument persuasive, I honestly thought that he was trying to say that most of those poor people are still alive. It wasn't until I got to the end of the article, where he starts ripping democracy and poo-pooing China's brutal take over of Tibet, that I figured he was on the Chi-Com's payroll and was almost as a legitimate a source as the World Weekly News.

Mr. Kendall takes care of most of the points, but there's one thing I'd like to clear up. In the article Mr. Clark states:
Whether Sinitic-culture nations with collective leaderships ... should have to abide by Western-imposed standards of political conduct is debatable...
I believe I read it somewhere on NRO that this whole 'Western Standards' bit is a double edged sword. Communism, and the fascism that currently marks China's government, are every bit as 'Western' as Capitalist Democracies. Does Mr. Clark honestly think that it's better for people of the world to suffer under Western style oppression rather than living fine under Western style democracy?

No comments: